Earlier in the school year, a coworker and friend of mine challenged me to find three things I was thankful for every day for a week. She had read that this kind of gratitude related to happiness, and while I was intrigued by this assertion, I kind of forgot to keep up with it. (Sorry, Maggie!) Until now, that is. So I tried it out, and here are the things I wrote down…
Tuesday, January 15th
1. I am thankful for a job that makes me feel fulfilled and has brought so many meaningful relationships and lessons into my life.
2. I am thankful for a family that will always be there to have my back if everything turns to shit.
3. I am thankful to live in a place where I can revel in the power of the arts every single day.
Wednesday, January 16th
1. I am thankful for a coffeeshop that offers a small coffee and a donut for $1 every Wednesday, my day full of meetings.
2. I am thankful for a good friend who I can talk to and cry to and laugh with on a regular basis.
3. I am thankful for cheesecake.
Thursday, January 17th
1. I am thankful for a comfortable bed which makes sleeping in on my days off not only possible but enjoyable.
2. I am thankful for the voice that I have and the ability to make music with it.
3. I am thankful for beautiful music made with people I am just getting to know, and the hospitality and kindness of people in northern Michigan.
Friday, January 18th
1. I am thankful for my little sister Olivia, who made me a big sister when I was only two years old and always provided me with a friend to play with while we were growing up. (Happy birthday, Liv!)
2. I am thankful that I can spend my Friday evening off-duty dancing to live music on campus and have the time of my life doing it.
3. I am thankful for karaoke.
Saturday, January 19th
1. I am thankful for hot tubs.
2. I am thankful for coworkers who know how to work hard and play hard at the same time.
3. I am thankful for men’s pajama pants because they are the comfiest pants I own.
Sunday, January 20th
1. I am thankful for naps.
2. I am thankful for pink nail polish.
3. I am thankful for my extensive music library and the thrill that comes with rediscovering old favorites that I haven’t listened to in forever.
Monday, January 21st
1. I am thankful for full nights of sleep.
2. I am thankful for dark roast coffee.
3. I am thankful to live in a place that actually has seasons, even if right now I hate winter and the ridiculously cold temperatures I have to brave just to get a hot meal in the cafeteria.
So there you have it. Seven days of thankfulness. And it really did help me see the happiness in my life. And as much as I’d love to keep doing this every single day, I know that I can’t commit to it (I have a hard enough time updating this blog semi-regularly!). But I do think it’s beneficial to take some time every once in awhile to examine my life and see the good in it. In the middle of winter in Michigan, it’s easy for me to get into a funk, feeling sorry about the hard things in my life or the things that could be better. However — and I know this entire post has been cheesy and it’s probably stating the obvious — I know that it’s my perspective on everything is what dictates my happiness. This exercise was proof of that. So I’m going to keep being thankful, because it’s obviously not hurting me. 🙂